China’s central financial institution digital forex (CBDC) has been used to conduct 62 billion yuan ($9.7 billion) of transactions as of end-October.
- A People’s Bank of China (PBOC) official said Wednesday that 140 million individuals had opened wallets for the digital yuan, or “eCNY,” in accordance with a report by Reuters.
- Mu Changchun, director-general of the digital forex institute of China’s central financial institution, advised Hong Kong’s Fintech Week convention that over 1.5 million retailers may settle for funds utilizing eCNY wallets.
- In addition, 10 million company accounts have been created, Bloomberg reported.
- The figures examine with these on the finish of June, when there have been 34 million particular person and company eCNY pockets customers who had carried out transactions price $5.4 billion, in accordance with Bloomberg.
- There is not any official launch date for the CBDC, Mu stated. The eCNY has been present process trials in cities throughout China over the past yr.
Read extra: Nigeria’s eNaira CBDC Goes Live
UPDATE (Nov. 3, 10:32 UTC): Adds company accounts, comparability with end-June figures.