Cosmos’ Atom, Solana’s native forex and Internet Computer (previously Dfinity) all entered the CoinDesk 20 on this quarter’s reconstitution, in a shift the place Web 3 software program platforms, instruments and infrastructure changed decentralized finance (DeFi) and DeFi-related purposes among the many most-traded currencies in crypto.
The three new currencies changed Aave, The Graph and Uniswap, reversing a pattern earlier within the 12 months, wherein listings of DeFi belongings on main centralized exchanges propelled them into the CoinDesk 20 and remade the record.
The CoinDesk 20 is a listing of the highest 20 cryptocurrencies by quantity, as measured on a choose record of trusted exchanges. The record is reconstituted quarterly, utilizing knowledge noticed over the prior two quarters. The full record is right here. A full description of the methodology may be discovered here. Volume knowledge is supplied by Nomics.
All three of the brand new currencies are associated to Web 3, a class of cryptocurrency tasks geared toward offering globally decentralized and permissionless laptop networks. Here’s a quick introduction to the brand new belongings within the CoinDesk 20:
- Solana trades beneath the ticker SOL. It’s the native forex of a challenge by the identical title that goals to ship a sooner, extra cost-efficient Web 3 platform for decentralized purposes. As such, it’s a competitor to (*20*).
- Atom trades beneath the ticker ATOM. It’s the native forex of Cosmos, a challenge that appears to supply Web 3 builders with instruments to permit interoperability between blockchains. It is usually known as an “internet of blockchains.”
- Internet Computer trades beneath the ticker ICP. It’s the native forex of a challenge by the identical title that goals to supply a community of cloud computing suppliers accessible by way of the ICP token – primarily a decentralized model of Amazon Web Services. Internet Computer was previously often called Dfinity.
The three changed belongings are all DeFi-related:
- Aave is the native forex of a lending utility that units rates of interest and serves depositors and debtors.
- The Graph is a decentralized knowledge indexing service that manages knowledge from Web 3 tasks. It is broadly utilized by DeFi purposes.
- Uniswap is among the many largest decentralized exchanges by quantity and its native token is likely one of the high DeFi currencies by market cap.
This quarter’s reconstitution of the CoinDesk 20 got here later than anticipated, as a result of technical points with the CoinDesk 20 web page on coindesk.com.